Dedicated Attorneys Assist Clients with Legal Separation in Washington
Experienced family lawyers represent spouses seeking to separate in the Bellingham area
In certain situations, a couple may wish to live apart but not want to terminate their marriage. In Washington, this can be achieved through a legal separation. Separation is a court-approved agreement between spouses that outlines how marital assets and responsibilities will be divided without having to dissolve the marriage. If you and your spouse have a broken relationship but aren’t ready or willing to divorce, the attorneys at Beaty Family Law offer skilled representation to protect your rights and those of your children in a separation agreement. We assist clients in the Bellingham area and throughout Washington seeking an alternative to divorce.
Washington counselors advise on separation versus divorce
While separation and divorce are similar in some ways, the marriage is not ended in a legal separation. For some couples, this is the best option for their situation. Reasons to choose a separation over a dissolution of marriage include:
- Personal or religious beliefs
- Financial concerns
- Medical benefits
- Chance for reconciliation
Choosing between a legal separation and a divorce can be a difficult decision, but our attorneys offer knowledgeable advice and advocacy to our clients so they can make the right choices for their individual circumstances.
Skilled family advocates guide clients through separation agreements
To ensure that your rights, assets and children are protected when you separate, we draft sound agreements that may cover a range of relevant issues:
- Asset and property division — Dividing the marital property can be an emotional and complicated process. In some states, there is the additional step of determining which property is community property and which property is separate. A knowledgeable attorney can make this process easier.
- Payment of marital debts — Many couples owe money on their home, their cars or credit cards. Our attorneys help apportion these debts as well as medical debts and other loans.
- Spousal support — A breakup shouldn’t unfairly disadvantage spouses who decide to separate. Depending on the financial circumstances of each spouse, support may be negotiated or ordered by a judge.
- Child custody — Determining where children should live, who should make decisions about their lives and when relatives can visit them is often an emotionally fraught process. Our attorneys work to reduce the conflict surrounding these issues and come to an agreement that is best for the children.
- Child support — Both parents are expected to contribute to the costs of raising their children. This often means that the higher-earning (and often noncustodial) parent must make payments to the other to care for children. Whether you and your child’s other parent can reach an agreement on support or the court makes that determination, our attorneys help to secure payments that are fair and beneficial to children.
Our experienced family lawyers understand the difficulties of ending a relationship, especially when children are involved. If you are choosing to separate rather than divorce, we will guide you through the process while providing the advice and advocacy you deserve.
Contact a determined Washington family lawyer for advice on legal separation
If you wish to pursue a legal separation in Washington, Beaty Family Law can provide the guidance you need. Call our Bellingham office at 360-676-1215 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.